Changing Worlds, an arts and cultural education organization, seeks writers and poets who are experienced teaching artists to be considered for our Arts and Cultural Connections after-school programs and Arts Culture and Literacy in-school programs in the Chicago Public Schools. Responsibilities include working with groups of up to 15 students in an after-school setting or up to 35 students in an in-school setting, curriculum planning, developing and teaching writing warm-ups/narrative and poetic techniques including strategies for public speaking to encourage and develop performances for student showcases. Editorial skills to support the formation of a body of work generated by the students will be required at the end of each program. Discussions on culturally specific writing forms, oral history experience and the influences of particular writers in history and currently would be a plus. Maintaining positive relationships with students, parents and school administrators is a priority.
Teaching artists will be compensated for teaching and curriculum planning time.
Locations of program assignments will be determined by the Program Manager. In-school programs run between 8am-3pm and after-school programs run between 3pm-6pm. Times may vary depending on the school.
- Support the ongoing development of writer's studio practice for elementary through high school students
- Planning and implementation of curriculum materials for elementary through high school students
- Work with students to encourage their creativity and self-expression
- Employ a system of effective classroom behavior management
- Support the students in the creation of a culminating performance of their work
- Consult with the Program Manager on the development of programming for elementary students