VISUALS & GRAPHIC DESIGN INTERNSHIP
Reports to: Music Program Director
Internship Term: October 2018 – December 2018
Pay Category: Unpaid
Required Hours: 10 hours per week + attend one concert a week (2-3 days per week)
Who we are:
Uncommon Ground is a sustainable restaurant, urban farm, coffee house, brewery and music venue, with two locations in Chicago. Our intimate listening rooms host live music, comedy, screenings, open mics and more every night of the week at both our Lakeview and Edgewater locations.
This role is perfect for someone with a strong aesthetic sensibility, and who would like to help shape visual coherency for Uncommon Ground’s Listening Rooms. Under the Directors guidance, the Graphic Design & Visuals Intern will help to produce digital and print materials that effectively communicate the venues programming to: online audience, newsletter readers, local foot traffic, and customers dining within Uncommon Ground. Interns will gain experience in Canva, Adobe Suite, Square Space, and in print poster collection and hanging protocol. This is a wonderful opportunity to gain professional experience in the music and live performance industry, and see the how every moving parts makes a successful show happen!
• Assist in creative design & production of graphic design assets for web & print
• Co-curate and layout monthly newsletter
• Update, print and distribute in-venue print content
• Remind performers to mail physical posters
• Receive and hand band poster
• Curate one pre-show playlist a week
• Oversee one evening show a week at either location to provide smoothest possible experience for musicians, take notes on show environment, and enjoy a live music show!
-Up to $25 per shift on non-alcoholic drinks and food
-Exposure to new and exciting music and artists
-Building real world work experience
- Letter of Recommendation: if all hours are fulfilled and performance is satisfactory at end of Internship, a letter of recommendation will be completed for Intern to use for future job applications
-This internship for October - December is not for college credit, but can potentially lead to a college credit internship beginning in January