The Arts of Life is a non-profit arts organization providing makers with developmental and intellectual disabilities a collective space to expand their practice and strengthen their leadership. Our two working art studios support over sixty Chicagoland artists working in a broad range of mediums. We practice collective decision making, intentional community building and radical hospitality.
Our North Shore location in Glenview has an opening for a part-time Personal Care Studio Assistant (PCSA). The PCSA is responsible for working directly with our artists on a daily basis, especially those who need physical assistance with aspects of art making and acts of daily living (bathroom breaks and mealtimes). This position is ideal for anyone seeking meaningful work in a creative community of people with and without disabilities.
Daily PCSA tasks may include:
- Reviewing the day's schedule with artists.
- Helping an artist take off and hang up their coat.
- Offering creative feedback on artists' work in progress
- Assisting an artist in the bathroom.
- Sharing examples from your own portfolio with artists.
- Having lunch with an artist who needs help eating.
- Parallel drawing or discussing art history with an artist.
- Talking with and observing artists to develop adaptive methods of artmaking specific to their needs.
PCSA hours are 10am-3pm Monday through Friday. Pay begins at $12/hr.