Lyric Opera of Chicago exists to provide a broad, deep and relevant cultural service to the Chicago region and the nation, and to advance the development of the art form of opera.
We are searching for a Stage Doorperson to join our part time, seasonal Stage Door staff. As with all Stage Door staff members, this position will work 5-24 hours a week on a flexible shift basis during the season. The weekly schedule fluctuates with the performance calendar, but may include shifts between 6:00am – 2:00am any day of the week.
Lyric Opera of Chicago’s Stage Door staff is ultimately responsible for the safety and security of Lyric’s back of house spaces.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Monitor Access Policy for all BOH employees and guests
- Perform routine security checks of access doors to the backstage area and monitor entry/exit points via electronic surveillance to determine that premises are properly secured; lock and unlock doors as needed.
- Act as Fire Safety Director in case of emergency during low/no occupancy times.
- Act as point-of-contact in emergency situations for all backstage personnel, and assist with initiation/implementation of emergency procedures (police, fire, and evacuation) in compliance with Lyric’s emergency action plan.
- Notify work-site personnel of the arrival of various goods delivered to the backstage area (UPS, FedEx, other special deliveries); coordinate the proper unloading of items, including occasional assistance with traffic control during loading/unloading of trucks.
- Coordinate with Rehearsal, Opera Center, Facilities, and other departments regarding guest lists, schedules, and other needs as they arise.
- Contact appropriate Lyric personnel to notify them of the presence of outside visitors or vendors needing to be escorted backstage.
- Notify Facilities Department of necessary physical plant repairs or safety concerns within the backstage area; monitor first aid kits and fire extinguishers and report any deficiencies.
- Assist seasonal staff and visitors with questions and directions (on- and off-site destinations).
- As the business evolves, so may this role. These duties may change as Lyric’s leadership identifies the need at any time.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
Effective organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills are essential, along with a demonstrated orientation to customer service. The ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities, maintain a professional demeanor under pressure, and keep sensitive information confidential is required. Previous experience in a security or “in-person” customer service role would be a definite plus, as would a working knowledge of the details associated with back-of-house operations for a theater facility. Training in first aid and/or in the use of portable defibrillation units is desirable (training may be provided).
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other office equipment.
- Ability to climb stairs, work in dark places, lift and carry items < 25 lbs
REPORTSTO: Stage Door Supervisor
STATUS: Part time, seasonal, non-exempt