REPORTSTO: Senior Director of Communications
STATUS: Full-time, Exempt
Lyric Opera of Chicago exists to provide a broad, deep and relevant cultural service to the Chicago region and the nation, and to advance the development of the art form of opera.
We are searching for a Public Relations Manager to be responsible for content creation and management, media relations, and public relations administration. Lyric Opera of Chicago’s Public Relations Manager will play a key role in communicating the company’s vision to the public in two major areas: content creation and media relations. This position is responsible for generating content across multiple platforms (blog, magazine, enewsletter, program book, videos, etc.). This position also manages media relations for Lyric Unlimited events and initiatives, special projects and recitals and the annual musical.Finally, the Public Relations Manageris responsible for managing key administrative duties that assist with timely and accurate communication with the press and general public.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Content Creation and Management
● Write enewsletter and program book wrap articles and features
● Create original content for Lyric Lately, the company blog with a keen focus on overall blogging strategy and the creation of supporting assets
● Write enewsletter and program book wrap articles
● Research and interview artists for video features, help oversee the distribution, use and re-use of these assets with the communications team and assist with other new production activities, as assigned.
● Create web and brochure copy as assigned
● Edit and proofread print, electronic, and video materials as needed
● Supervise media relations for all Lyric Unlimited events, Lyric special events and and the annual mainstage musical (writing press releases, identifying and pitching stories, establishing relationships with artists, establishing and maintaining working relationships with press, supervising photo shoots and interviews, building upon existing press lists etc.)
● Assist with Lyric’s main stage opera season, as needed.
● Manage day to day relationships with third-party PR firms hired to assist with special and main stage projects (musicals, Lyric Unlimited, grand opera)
● Write press releases; manage internal circulation and electronic distribution of all releases
● Assist with managing and training of PR interns
● Assist in planning and staffing of media events
Public Relations Administration
● Manage press ticketing for events, including keeping season press ticketing spreadsheet; updating records and creating orders in Tessitura
● Building and maintaining Lyric’s press lists
● Staff the press table for opening nights and other special events
● Create and maintain season media calendar, including press release and pitching schedules
● Generate and distribute to company weekly roundup of online and print coverage of Lyric, other arts institutions, and general cultural news
● Supervise the maintenance of comprehensive electronic media log
● Select and distribute photo assets from individual operas and Lyric events
● Respond to photo requests from media
● Oversee data collection, as assigned, for monitoring press and media efforts and efficacy
● Identify and distribute press quotes from reviews
● Manage invitations and RSVPs for media events; maintain and update email press lists
As the business evolves, so may this role. These duties may change as Lyric’s leadership identifies the need at any time.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in English, journalism, communications, or equivalent experience
- At least 3 years of solid communications experience, ideally with a nonprofit or cultural organization
- Working knowledge of and comfort working with:
- Microsoft suite of products:
- CRM expertise (Tessitura a strong plus)
- Outstandingcommunication skills, including the ability to speak to journalists and other members of the public with clarity and discretion
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to tailor messages to diverse audiences
- Extensive experience with the Chicago-area media market, particularly classical music, theater, and cultural outlets
- Knowledge of classical music and opera
- Impeccable understanding of English language and usage; copyediting experience a plus
- Experience working with content management systems (e.g. Ektron) and HTML
- Familiarity with photo editing software
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work and think independently, a motivated self-starter who also works well in a larger team.
- Ability to occasionally oversee evening or weekend functions, deployments, or performances.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other office equipment.
Interested applicants are encouraged to send their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.