As an intern in Chicago Shakespeare Theater’s Production department, you will be joining a world-class group of artisans, craftspeople, carpenters, and technicians. Together, the Production Management, Stage Management, Scenic, Props, Costumes, Lighting, Sound and Wigs departments execute the visions of the many directors and designers who come through Chicago Shakespeare’s doors. With the opening of The Yard in 2017, the Production department looks forward to further innovation in our new flexible performance space.
Chicago Shakespeare’s Production Management Interns are entrusted with a great deal of responsibility and have the opportunity to play an integral role in the Theater’s Production Management Department. They assist the Production Office staff with finances, research, scheduling, and a variety of other projects.
The Production Management Internship will ideally begin in January or February. The exact start and end dates are negotiable. Internship hours range from part to full time. All internship candidates must be available to work a minimum of 24 hours per week for a minimum of 6 weeks in order for this experience to be a worthwhile educational endeavor. Chicago Shakespeare is committed to building diversity and inclusion onstage and throughout the organization. We especially encourage candidates from underrepresented groups to apply.
- Conduct research for special projects
- Assist Production Office Manager with financial records and reconciliation
- Help prepare season paperwork (calendars, contact sheets, etc.)
- Support with meeting and event set-up
- General office assistance- shipping/receiving, mail distribution, stocking supplies, filing
- Other special projects to be determined based on intern’s strengths and interests
- A modest travel stipend
- College credit as available through a student’s academic institution
- Educational and career-coaching opportunities, including an intern seminar series that illuminates the workings of a large arts organization
- An in-depth review of the intern’s resume/portfolio with CST staff members
- Complimentary tickets to CST performances
- Invitations to company-wide events with actors, designers and other artists
- Free and reduced-price tickets to other Chicago theaters through "industry" offers
- Unfortunately we are not able to provide housing
Who should apply for this Internship:
Applicants interested in learning about the day-to-day functions of a professional theatre production department should apply.