About Face Theatre is a small professional organization with three full-time and four part-time staff members. Every year, we produce three Equity plays, a series of youth workshops culminating in an About Face Youth Theatre production, a series of outreach performances, and a handful of readings. We rely on support from a dedicated group of interns to produce our season of LGBTQ+ theatre and make sure our company runs smoothly.
Internships are fun, flexible opportunities for theatre-lovers of all ages to learn all about what goes into developing and performing works that support AFT’s mission to create exceptional, innovative, and adventurous plays to advance the national dialogue on gender and sexual identity, and to challenge and entertain audiences in Chicago, across the country, and around the world. Internships are structured, mentored, full of leadership opportunities, and built to prepare young artists and administrators for meaningful careers in the arts.
We work hard to include interns in all aspects of the organization and to create opportunities for professional development. Interns will be provided a proactive learning environment, substantial resume-building responsibilities, and networking opportunities in the Chicago theatre industry. A small stipend is available.
The Development Intern is supervised by the Director of Institutional Giving and the Director of Individual and Major Giving & Special Events. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting with and planning all fundraising benefits and special events, including collaboration with volunteer committees
- Retrieving, organizing and researching donor/prospect information
- Maintaining donor records and database systems, as well as gathering and sorting related data
- Managing donor acknowledgement and recognition
- Managing annual fund processes, including direct mail campaigns
- Supporting corporate and foundation research, proposal submission, and reporting
- Supporting Development Director with daily operations of the department including donor inquiries and requests, meeting scheduling and preparation, and other duties as assigned