Red Clay Dance Company seeks highly skilled and innovative dance artists to teach in our Community Education, Engagement, and Partnerships (CEEP) Programs. The ideal candidate is committed to using dance: as a vehicle for self-expression, to develop youth, and establish community. Red Clay Dance Company lives to awaken "glocal" change through creating, performing and teaching Afro Contemporary Dance. Change that transforms cultural and socio-economic imbalances in our local and global community.
As a Teaching Artivist you will have a unique opportunity to join a trendsetting, culturally relevant, socially transforming, elite dance organization in the Chicagoland Area. Red Clay Dance envisions an Artivist as one who utilizes their artistic genius to become part of the solution for social change. Creatively using the body and movement as tools to gain personal and collective freedom! As a Teaching Artivist you will play a vital role in transforming lives and communities by helping youth activate their passion for Artivism (art + activism).
CEEP Programs serve approximately 900 youth annually through the Red Clay Dance Academy, Red Clay Dance Youth Ensemble and additional partnerships with schools and other organizations for in-school and after- school dance programming.
Positions are available the Red Clay Dance Academy as well as our partner sites.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop contextually relevant, developmentally appropriate lesson plans. Instruct dance classes for youth and teens through curricula synergized with Red Clay Dance Company's mission and vision.
- Prepare/coordinate and obtain equipment, materials and supplies for classes from Program Manager or Academy Coordinator.
- Manage learning environment including attendance tracking and reporting.
- Assist participating youth at community-wide events, showcases, recitals, etc.
- Actively engage in mandatory meetings, orientation(s), and professional development.
- Periodically evaluate and report on participants learning and curriculum effectiveness to the Program Manager.
- Other responsibilities as needed