Organization Overview: Music in Urban Schools Inspiring Change (MUSIC Inc.) is an El Sistema inspired program that has been offering tuition-free music instruction to Chicago underserved communities since 2011. We currently serve 175 students, ages 7- 14 at five school sites in Chicago’s west side communities. Our unique program works closely with families and classroom teachers to help musicians develop strong leadership skills and maintain academic standards. Our mission is to use music education to cultivate fundamental life skills such as self-expression, cooperative learning, self-discipline, creativity and leadership – all of which have been linked to improved social and academic outcomes.
Job Summary: MUSIC Inc. is seeking an experienced Cello Instructor to inspire a new generation of musicians and leaders. The Cello Instructor will be responsible for teaching and leading cello sectionals on Tuesday and Thursdays, from 4:30pm – 6:30pm located our after-school programing located at the St. Agatha Church and Community Center. Lesson planning time is expected each week and must be managed into your schedule outside of teaching obligations.
- Create and deliver effective instruction that engages young learners in ways that empower positive classroom management
- Provide assessment of students’ musical and behavioral progress
- Connect and inspire students who need positive direction, stability and care on a regular basis
- Collaborate with parents, administrative staff and faculty
- Timely correspondence with director, school staff and parents
- Concert performances each semester are required
- Tuesday and Thursday 4:30pm – 6:30pm beginning September 11th, 2018
- Concert performances required
- Staff PD days required
All faculty members are hired as independent contractors and paid per service. Per service rates vary according to experience and expertise.