Bemis Center is seeking an Exhibitions Manager to help to advance the organization’s mission.
The Exhibitions Manager responsibilities include the coordination of daily administrative and operational activities and events within Bemis Center’s Exhibition Program. The position will assist with research, organizing, and implementing exhibitions and public programs at Bemis Center. The Exhibitions Manager works closely with the entire staff and reports directly to the Chief Curator and Director of Programs.
- Assist the Chief Curator and Director of Programs and Curator-in-Residence in the short-and long-term coordination and planning of all exhibitions, exhibition-related public programs and non-exhibition related public programs presented at Bemis Center;
- Oversee and manage loans for exhibitions, including the execution of loan forms with lenders, and execute all incoming/outgoing condition reports;
- Oversee all incoming and outgoing crating and shipping of exhibited artwork and ensure appropriate levels of insurance, safe handling, and security for artwork;
- Create and manage installation, exhibition, public programming schedules, and internal program calendar in collaboration with other members of the programming team and Bemis staff;
- Prepare agenda for weekly Programming staff meetings. Take and circulate minutes and action items after each meeting.
- Serve as artist liaison for visiting exhibiting artists and public programs presenters, managing their transportation, lodging, payment schedules, and budgets;
- Develop, maintain, and provide monthly reports on annual exhibitions and public programs budget;
- Implement and organize all aspects of exhibition and non-exhibition related public programs in conjunction with the Chief Curator and Director of Programs;
- Manage and assist when necessary preparator and installation teams for the installation, de-installation, and art handling of exhibitions;
- Facilitate the creation and production of exhibition-related didactics, including wall text, object labels, and other materials as needed;
- Collect and manage all exhibiting artist records, including bios, W9s, contact information, etc., and maintain all print and digital exhibition-related archives for Bemis;
- Provide additional support and coordination, as needed, to artists-in-residence and residency staff;
- Lead exhibition tours and introduce guest presenters during public programs as needed;
- Work closely with the Communications Department on all exhibition-related promotional and marketing materials, including press releases, press images, website and social media updates/posts, and media spots/interviews;
- Work closely with Chief Curator and Director of Programs and the Development Department to generate content for grant applications and reports, sponsorship proposals, and engagements with individual donors, including private events for members and sponsors;
- Work closely with the Director of Operations on all purchases and exhibition-related payments.
- Manage Bemis publications as required including timeline, contracts, budget, and distribution.
- Create personal development opportunities to cultivate knowledge of trends and developments in contemporary art.
- Additional responsibilities as required.
- MA in art history, curatorial studies, or related degree required
- Three years experience working on exhibitions required
- Curiosity about and passion for contemporary art and artists
- Highly motivated with aspirations to make a difference in the field
- Strong research background and writing skills
- Experience working in an office environment
- Organized with an ability both to handle multiple projects and see the big picture while managing micro details
- Ability to adapt to change, identify places where help is required, and take initiative to provide it
- Proficiency in Google Drive, Microsoft Office 365 including Word, Excel, and Powerpoint (including mail merge, creating labels, and databases), cloud applications (box.com), and image management (Photoshop, etc.)
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefit package provided, including medical, paid holidays, and paid time off.
Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For immediate consideration, please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Exhibitions Manager” in the subject line:
- a one-page cover letter
- a brief writing sample
- the contact information for three professional references